The 1407 “Russian Diver” offers a case bigger than the ‘average’ wristwatch. It comes in at a diameter of 52mm and a thickness of 16mm, one of the biggest watch sizes on the market. It has a beautiful 18k rose gold stainless steel stationary bezel, along with a well-made 26mm brown leather calfskin band to strap the watch to the wrist and a buckle clasp to secure it. The watch is powered by a Japanese Quartz movement, and the dial is protected by a tough mineral crystal. It’s water resistant to 100m (330 feet) and offers a date display.
- A beautifully simple design that harkens back to a classic watch design. It’s not showy or flashy, but well-made and practical.
- A high-quality brown leather calfskin band marks this as a decidedly unique timepiece, compared to its more popular polyurethane siblings.
- Not a lot of extra features offered with the watch may turn a few consumers off — what you see is what you get here.
- Water resistant to 100m makes the watch somewhat unsuitable for the more ‘serious’ of divers, but perfectly fine for recreational water activities like swimming.
- Stationary bezel and no sub-dials make it much more difficult to accurately measure time, which may prove to be unhelpful for some.
The Invicta Men’s 1407 “Russian Diver” Stainless Steel Watch with Leather Band is a watch I haven’t encountered often. It’s not trying to be ‘cool’ and it’s not trying to ‘impress’. This is a throwback to a classic, sleek, old-school watch. The simple design may be uncomplicated, but it offers a unique kind of charm that no amount of gadgets can match.
That being said, the lack of extra features on the whole might be something of a turn off — particularly for ‘divers’ interested in purchasing it. 100m water resistance isn’t particularly great for divers, but is perfectly fine for water sports and other activities. So while it’s hard to imagine anyone not being charmed by the watch, the lack of even the most simple extra features such as luminosity or sub-dials may just prove to be too big a step back for some.
Make no mistake, this is a magnificent timepiece. But it’s definitely for a very specific kind of man. The beautifully crafted exterior may get people’s attention, but there’s not much else here to hold that attention if you’re not just looking for a nice watch.
I think when Invicta was designing the Men’s 1407 “Russian Diver” Stainless Steel Watch (with Leather Band), they were working on behalf of a certain type of man. A man that has a soft-spot for the past and for nostalgia; a man that likes the old school simplicity of a watch; a man that is on the market for a wristwatch, not a computer or a watch packed with gadgets. Well, for that man… Invicta has delivered the ultimate timepiece. And it looks pretty good.